Sunday, July 24, 2011

"I'm single because I have standards"


"Yeah and you're single because you're following God."

Tonight at church, a friend of mine made a comment after I said "I move for NO MAN!" in a purely joking manner, and he responds with the following gem:

"Yeah and that's why you don't have a man."

I stood there stunned for a minute. Completely, utterly stunned.

I'm not single because I'm stubborn. I'm not single because I even really want to be. I'm not single because no one wants me.

I'm single because I have standards. God-ordained, God-inspired standards. I'm single because I'm waiting for the fruition of a promise that was given to me 4.5 years ago. I've had a couple of men pursue me, and whether I liked it or not, I've turned them down because I have a slight idea of what God wants for me. I've gone on dates and none have seemed to "click".

Thankfully my friend not only apologized for what he said and let me punch him, but he made the effort to get my cell number from a mutual friend, call me up, and apologize again. I forgave him after his initial apology (and my nasty little right hook into his bicep...) but it got me thinking and it was nice to have him kind get how upset it made me...

Mostly it got me thinking again about God and His promise. I can think of 3 men right now that seem like they would be good matches. Can I say anything to any of them about it? Nope. God told me not to. So I'm sitting and waiting, attempting this blasted thing called "patience", and seeing what will happen. It's kind of hard going to 2 weddings in 1 week, 1 baby shower, and seeing countless (literally) pictures on Facebook of at least 5 couples I know that have gotten married in the last few weeks.

But.

God is faithful. And He is good. and He has always had my best intentions at heart.

Father forgive me for when my patience dwindles. Forgive me for when I don't feel like caring about anything other than my own wants and desires. Help me to focus on You and remember how beautiful Your timing is.

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, and who have been called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28

No comments:

Post a Comment