Thursday, January 1, 2009

How do you meet people?


Seriously. How does society expect you to meet someone without going online to some dating website or going to a club/bar of some sort?

College/school. . . Tons of people of different backgrounds, ethnicities, shapes, sizes. . . There should be someone there to meet? Well. what do you do if there isn't? What if you've been there, had a relationship of some sort of length, maybe even gone on a few dates, and you graduate still single? What do you do then? Granted this is the place I currently find myself sitting in this place, but I'm OK with that. Seriously, I am.

Work. . . Well. If you're like me and you work in a women's clothing store, typically the only men you'll meet are the husbands/boyfriends of your customers. Now if you work somewhere where there is a more balanced ratio of men to women, then you might have better luck. . . But what if you don't? What do you do then? Do you wait for the random guy to walk in with a couple of friends to the women's clothing store you work in, and chat you up then ask for your myspace? (Which that happened to me last night. . .)

Church? Well sure- church seems like a good place for a Christian girl soon to be credentialed as a pastor. What if you've grown up in that church though and seem to know most of the people your age and the one's you don't know you aren't very interested in?

I'm honestly not saying/endorsing/condemning online dating sites or going to single's events or anything like that, but where do you meet people? It's awkward and uncomfortable to try to walk up to a random stranger and generate a relationship out of thin air. I think some guy tried it last night at work by talking to me about random things, which was fine and he seems like a nice enough guy to be friends with. If I was remotely attracted to him that might have worked better. . . Ah well. It just made me think though, how lucky the people that meet someone in one of the aforementioned places is. I'm not speaking with any sort of bitterness or resentment or anger, it's just something I've been thinking about.

Plus hey, it means I'll have quite the splendid story of where/when I meet my future husband. And we all know that I'm all about a good story! =D

No comments:

Post a Comment